Ironman Kona 2018 "40 years of Dreams"


2018 has been an amazing year. I can't help every day but reflect upon what had transpired these last few months. I still find myself smiling at times whenever I recall about the many great things that we were blessed this year. There were so many wonderful things that I wish I can share with everyone. I can at least share my story and my experience in Ironman World Championship in Kona.
It was just a dream for that past few years. "Ironman Kona", the holy grail of the sport of Triathlon. Now I understand why so many athletes dedicate their lives, time and sacrificed so much for the chance to be treading water in that Kailua Bay waiting for the gun start.

Pre Race

I'm very meticulous with my race preparation. I took my hat from Ironman Subic Philippines where I qualified and I decided to use it for my run leg in Kona since it bears the Philippine flag design to represent my home country. My family and I flew to the Big Island on Sunday. Aboard the plane, it finally sank in. This is it! I am really going to Kona! The week leading to the event, I wanted to make sure I do three things: One was Bike to Hawi and a portion of Queen Kaahumanu highway; two, run the energy lab to Palani Rd. (Mile 16 to Mile 25); three, swim Kailua Bay to feel water current and have a mental note of any land marker for sighting. I really wanted to enjoy every aspect of this 140.6-mile race. I thought about every single Triathlete I know who are just like me, dreaming of one day to be here in Kona and be part of the history. Throughout the week, I got a lot of well wishes and it felt like I was racing with all my friends in spirit. 




















To highlight some of the amazing things leading to the Race day, I took a Sunday afternoon run at the energy lab on our first day. Running for the first time at Queen K was breathtaking not because it was only beautiful, but because it was hot, humid and has long roller of a run course. On each side of the road are lava rocks. But beyond the horizon to my right is the view of the ocean. To my left is vast and broad sloping beautiful footbed of Mauna Loa Mountain (2nd largest volcano in the world). As I run on the side of the road, running fast towards me was a shirtless dude with a sunglasses and visor being paced by another guy and a vehicle taking a video. As he got closer, I realized immediately it was Professional Triathlete (2014 Ironman Champion), Sebastian Kienle. Surprised and starstruck I yelled: "Oh hey, Let's go Sebi!" and he acknowledged me with a thumbs up. 
In the next few days I was able to hook up with Kona veteran and two of the Philippine's top Ironman athletes: Felipe "Jong" Sajulga III and Maria Flor Hodges. I idolized these guys and I was looking forward to doing some taper workout with them. The next day, they showed me the route and rode from Hapuna State Beach to Hawi and back (Mile 45 to Mile 60). Riding up to Hawi was challenging. It was a gradual climb with rollers with a few pockets of recovery. Then out of nowhere, we encountered gusts of head and crosswind. The wind was so strong the brushes were bent sideways as if there was a storm. It was a strange part of the Island yet exciting to see since this town is where the bike turn around would be. 
 
After the ride, my family and I soaked in the beach and met my good friend John Warneke for lunch at Lava Lava Beach Club restaurant (highly recommended).

On our third day Tuesday, Jong took me to Kona Aquatic center. I was again Starstruck as I walked into the pool with many of the Professional triathletes that I idolized. I Immediately came across Heather Jackson as soon as we walked in and said "Hi". 
Moments later,  defending Ironman Champion Daniel Ryf came out of her lane. I asked to take a picture which she gladly said sure! The selfie would later be featured on her Instagram page :) 
We also saw Dave Scott swimming with his group, Julie Moss being interviewed on the bleachers. Yup, I was in awe and kept stopping every few laps during my swim to peak my head out and see who else was there. 

That afternoon we had the Parade of Nations. It was so awesome  to see so many people come out and cheer on all the different country being represented as we paraded along Alii Dr. The best part for me was not only to be a part of "Team Philippines" but to also have my wife and kids be there with me as we get soaked and wet from an afternoon blessing of rain. It was also great to see local Filipino come out, cheered us on and took pictures with us as we waved our Philippines flag. To represent them and our home country was just simply amazing! With pure pride, I thought to myself that this is probably the closest that I can ever be in representing the Philippines in a world championship sporting event. What a cool experience! I will never forget it... 



 

In our fourth day in Kona, I was able to swim at Kailua Bay with Jong. It was a bit choppy but the water was very refreshing. We swam to the boat about 400 yards the boat staff was serving espresso. Yes, espresso! A floating boat/espresso bar free for all swimmers...What a treat! 



The next day we were joined by our good friend Thomas, Lalaine, and their daughter Mikayla. We were so excited for them to join us and thankful that they came to cheer and support! That afternoon I was also joined by another Fil-Am Tri teammate, top age group female Rebekah Walker (who also qualified in IM Subic). We did an easy ride that afternoon to Queen K and showed her the energy lab run turnaround. We were just both excited and overjoyed as we rode side by side. After our bike ride, we ran along Alii Dr. chasing the sunset. Overlooking the beach we couldn't help but giggle with laughter like little kids. We kept yelling: "Woohoo! This is it! We are in Kona Baby!" 





Late that evening the team Philippines were invited for a dinner who was graciously hosted by a local Filipino Ate Emelda Romero. Her family opened their home and welcomed us with fresh seafood and delicious Pinoy delicacy. We are grateful for this amazing Filipino hospitality.

The next day Thursday morning was the "Underpants Run". The Pro sighting for the day was this tall and very lean guy who was almost incognito with the crowd of people cheering on the underpants runners. He was on the side of the road with his tank top, jean shorts and holding his Canyon Road Bike. I looked closely and realized (Holy $hit!) ...that's Jan Frodeno!!! (The 2-time Ironman World Champion) I immediately went up to him got him to sign my Ironman Book and of course a selfie :)  I also saw Tower 26 Head Coach Gerry Rodriguez with Jim Lubinski who I follow for my swim training plan.




Later that morning we had our Team Philippines breakfast hosted by Sir Fred Uytengsu and SunRise Event Princess Galura we were joined by IM CEO Andrew Messick and Canadian Hall Fame Coach Lance Watson. We felt like a rockstar! To get this kind of support was just unbelievable!  We can't thank these guys enough not only by introducing Ironman in the Philippines but always giving us the best experience in the sport of Triathlon. It's almost certain that every day in Kona you will run into a Professional Triathlete. That day in the restaurant we came across another Pro, Frederik Van Lierde (2013 Ironman Champion). 





In the evening we went to the IM Dinner. They have put together the "40 years of Dream" Ironman video with IM legend Mark Allen narrating and highlighting all the iconic athletes in Ironman history as well as all the magnificent people who toed the line in Kona. The main highlight of the night for me was when they asked the 1st timers in Kona to stand up. Then they asked all the returning athlete from last year, those who have done more than 3x in Kona, 5+ Kona, 10+,15+, 20+, 25+, 35x Yes, there were many athletes who have come back year after year and yes there is actually one person who has done and returned to Kona 35 times. Amazing! When the dinner concluded I saw Mark Allen. I couldn't resist and I came up to him and shook his hand for a wonderful show. I asked him if he can sign my IM book which he graciously agreed. What a day!

KONA 2018 TEAM PHILIPPINES
The day before the race was bike check-in. In Kona, you truly are treated like a VIP. You get an assigned Sherpa to help you carry your bags, rack your bike, show you around transition, answer any questions you have and even took my picture. Yup, we were a little a bit spoiled ;-)



   After bike check-in, I saw again Pro Sebastian Kienle. This time, I had my phone so I asked to take a picture with him. Then we saw Tim O' Donell and his wife my idol Ironman World Champion Mirinda "Rinny" Carfrae. In my early years of Triathlon, I came across Rinny in Endurance Live Expo (San Diego) back in 2011. She signed her bike poster for me where she wrote "To Nori: Live your Dreams"  as she signed my IM book, I thought to myself here I am in the 40th birth year of my life participating in the 40 year anniversary of Ironman. Yes, I am living that dream Rinny!

 
2011 ENDURANCE LIVE EXPO

That evening my wife and kids along with the Zaides had a VIP ticket to join this really cool party, Bob Babbit's TGINR (Thank God I am not racing) event. They had FREE happy hour/heavy appetizer at Huggo's Restaurant (across our condo). I joined the fun for a bit and decided to head back earlier to get some rest. After all, I am just racing the biggest race in Long distance Triathlon in a few hours :)
Breakfast with Bob
Pancho Man







Thank God I'm Not Racing Event
"RACE DAY"


I slept fairly well that night. I felt no pressure to race hard. The week leading to race day in Kona felt like I had already finished. My heart and my mind were just full of gratitude. I felt like racing today was just an icing on the cake considering all the things I have done and all the wonderful people that I have met all week.
The plan was very simple: Enjoy and get a fairly decent swim time, soak every moment and pace the bike well and reflect on all my Triathlon journey. Keep my stomach happy and run every mile and think about all the people that have influenced me on this sport. 


Swim:
Race morning My wife Sherry and Lalaine walked with me thru the then dark street of Alii Dr heading towards Transition. Once there, I checked my bike tires, prepared my nutrition and swim gear and waited at the swim start. By the swim entrance, I saw my Fil-Am Tri San Diego teammate Allan Saadus and hanged out with him for a bit. I wanted to really enjoy the swim and I didn't want to battle with the faster swimmer but I wanted to swim the shortest distance possible. About 10 minutes before gun time, I got in the water swam easily to the start line and seeded myself along the buoy line and treaded water on the right side close to the back of the group. The cannon went off so loud and it startled me. There were mild swells on the start of the swim and had a few bumps from other swimmers. I kept all the way to the right on a clockwise swim and every time I pass a buoy I would veer a bit right to enjoy the small space I have created for myself. After I reached the boat turn around, the water became choppy, So, I increased my arm turnover but stayed close to the buoy line. I used some of the kayakers in the water to sight in addition to the buoy. However, I made a mistake of getting too close I actually hit my hand/wrist at the pointy edge of one of the kayak and broke my wristband. I stopped and swam down to retrieve it as it floats down the ocean. I didn't want to want to swim with a closed fist holding my broken wristband, so I shoved it deep in my tri suit. I thought my timing chip is good, but I didn't want to get into trouble if in case a marshall asked for my wristband so I swam easy and kept checking to make sure my wristband is still inside my tri suit. "When Life throws a curve ball at you, hit it out of the park", I just kept on swimming. As soon as I got out of the water I reached inside my tri suit, took out my broken wristband and went to the Swim official's table and told them what happen. They took it and they said to go and keep on racing, they said that they will find me later and give me a new one. I also looked at my Garmin, 1 hour 33 minutes swim time and thought to myself Yikes! I might have enjoyed that swim a little too much :)  Now to time to bike...





Bike: 
As I run to transition, I saw Lalaine cheering! I was just so happy to be on my bike...My smile was ear to ear as soon as I was on my bike. Riding down the Queen K on race day was just as amazing as I thought it would be. To add to that, it was overcast and the temp. was cooler than usual. I got to about Mile 50 and was expecting some gust of headwind or crosswind but they were minimal. I turned around at Hawi (mile 60) stopped to refill my two bottles and mixed my electrolyte powder and chatted with a volunteer who told me I looked very happy! I said: "Are you kidding me?, I couldn't stop smiling ever since I got out of the swim!!!" 
I got to Mile 80 around the Waikoloa Village area and it started to rain. It reminded me of Ironman Subic Philippines last June and tears of joy along with raindrops trickled down my cheek. I thought about all the people who race Triathlon against all odds, those who sacrificed so much just to be a part of this race. I am so lucky to be here! I thought about my family, my grandfather Tatay Edring, grandmother Nanay Estella and my Dad who have passed on to afterlife. About two miles away from the Transition, I made a final right turn to Makala Blvd. from Queen K highway. I had another rush of adrenaline and excitement as I hear all the spectator cheering. I got off the bike with 5:33 bike split. I was happy with my time.






Run: 
The main focus is to keep my GI happy. I took in mini bars, cliff blocks, banana and kept my consumption of electrolyte salt timely. I felt really good with my run pace and food digestion. It felt like I could hold this pace all day. Out and back south of Alii Dr. We passed by many spectators and saw my wife and kids with the Zaides and blew them a kiss. Around mile 9 going up to Palani Rd. into the Queen K highway, I promised myself I would not walk this uphill portion of the run course and I didn't. It was steep and hot since the sun had decided to come out. I got to mile 10 aid station, I couldn't resist the carbonated sweet taste of cola so I drank some, and again on mile 11, and mile 12 and pretty much everytime there is one at an aid station. Big mistake! I originally planned to consume them NOT until Mile 20. So, as soon as I got to turn around at energy lab (Mile 18), my stomach was too acidic. I kept putting ice under my hat to keep me cool and nibbled ice chips since I was nauseated and my stomach could not hold any more solid or liquid I put in it. From Mile 20 to finish, I had consumed nothing. Our mind is so powerful that you can tell it to do anything you want to. The last 10 kilometer of that run was hard for me. I wanted to finish before sunset but my body can only give me a slow aerobic pace since I felt that my glycogen was depleted. What got me thru to the finish line was the thought about my Fil-Am Tri teammates who are probably tracking me back home. The mentors and many training partners who have helped me along the way...you know who you are. My family and friends who are waiting for me at the finish line. 
Running down Palani Rd, making a left at a gradual uphill on Kuakini Hwy and down again to Hualalai Rd, and making that final right turn on Alii Dr. 500 meters from the finish line with everyone cheering you on was unforgettable! I run to that finish line giving the spectators high five's, holding my tears, I tapped my chest as a sign of my love for all and pointed up to sky once again and thanked God for this opportunity. It's done ...11 hours and 39 minutes...."Noriel Simsuangco from Artesia California, You are an Ironman!"


After I crossed the line, I saw Ms. Princess from Sunrise event and told her "Thank you!". I was rejoined by my friends Thomas, Joy Nagal, Sef Cuesico, Julie Saadus, and daughter from Fil-am Tri San Diego who volunteered in the event at the finish line. Thank you everyone for all your love and support! 
Now I understand, the beauty and the energy high you get from this Island, the adrenaline rush in the Ironman Worlds Championship race is indescribable. It's a mixed emotion of pride, joy, excitement, gratitude, humility, respect, that really makes you appreciate many aspects of your life. All the sacrifices were all worth it! I will be in my death bed someday but I can always go back and cherish this moment in time and remember that I, who is just an average guy, who couldn't swim more than 100 yards, couldn't bike more than 10 miles without cramping, couldn't run more than 2 miles without getting out of breath got to cross the finish line in Ironman World Championship in Kona. 

I wish this opportunity upon all my Ironman friends/athletes who hopes of one day being in Kona. Whatever it takes, don't give up because anything is possible and dreams do come true! 














Comments

Popular posts from this blog