“A perfect race in an imperfect condition"

When I learned about the announcement last year of the Inaugural IM Subic Philippines 2018, I knew I had to be there to do it. My race recap goes all the way back to when I first started triathlon almost a decade ago. One of my early 70.3 events in the Philippines was the 2011 at Ironman Cam Sur 70.3. It was announced that Ironman China was canceled and there were 30 Kona slots given to 2011 Cam Sur 70.3 I could never forget how lucky those top age group winners when they were given IM World Championship spots for Kona. My teammates and I were too far for a roll down, so we missed this opportunity.
I promised myself that if there were ever a second chance presented, I will do my absolute best to train as hard as I can to get close to the top of my age group and perhaps earn that slim shot in qualifying for Kona.

My Race Thought Process: “Think positively whatever comes your way and always look at the best of everything regardless of how hard the situations may be”.


Swim: I had many doubts with my Taper swim since my swim volume of training was not where I wanted. Due to limited training time, I was only able to follow 2x a week of 2500-3500 yds. /session from Tower 26-Be race ready swim plan. I trained whatever available time I could. While in line to swim I saw and recognized Japanese Triathlete, Koji Furuya,  (Top Male AG 40-44), whom I expected will take 1st in our AG. I wished him well and I told him that I am confident that he will take the 1st place spot today. He thanked me and off we swam. The water in Subic is normally calm. I felt good with my decision to wear my Roka speed suit when I did the practice swim (1.2 mile/ 1 loop) 2 days before the race. On race day there was a low pressure and the water became choppy which was very unusual. I seeded right behind Zone 2. I wanted to swim around 1:15 to 1:20. I reminded myself that I trained for chops and swell and this should be fun. I felt comfortable and swam away from the buoy during swim start to minimize contact. After the first left turn buoy, I decided to hug the buoy line very close all the rest of the course. I had a few encounters of bumps, fist (yes fist) and kick but I fought back to keep my place in line. I clocked in at 1:17. My thoughts were for me........ That was perfect.
T1: Ran to changing tent and put on my Old School (Epic) Fil-Am Tri kit. I saw my friend Seth of Workout Worx as I made my way to my bike. He was cheering me on and got me motivated as I was putting on my helmet and bike shoes.

Bike: It was overcast and slight breezy and I was prepared for a hot bike on a two-loop bike course. I didn’t mind the loop. I paced all the climb, picked up speed on the descent and stayed steady on the flat and false flat (there were lots of them). I got emotional whenever I passed by Dinalupihan, my hometown. It gave me such a boost as I thought about all of our good childhood memories. Seeing my teammates on the bike course as we passed by cheering each other on was awesome. Then, as if my prayers were answered, it rained and made the bike leg cooler. The downpour of rain was combined with strong gusts of wind. I didn’t mind the wind since I trained and I expected it so I picked up my pace and went with effort despite not being able to see my data since my power meter stopped working when the downpour came hard. I keep telling myself my training in Palm Spring back home was a lot worst so I enjoyed the wind gust and I sang, I laughed and stayed positive and kept my head down as I worked thru the bike course. My goal was 5:30. I clocked in at 5:37 and for me… That was perfect.


T2: The sun came out and I was mentally prepared for a hot run but the legs felt beat and I knew I had to adjust my run pace goal. I racked my bike, changed my top and off I went, 42km here we go.

              

Run: I was able to hold an aerobic pace during the first 10km of the run. But everything fell apart when I felt the fatigue on my legs set in. I knew it was from the bike but I told myself if I am fatigued and so is everyone else. I stayed focused on taking some nutrition to keep me going and tried to control my heart rate from spiking up. Towards the first loop turnaround, there were some short climbs and my run pace kept getting slower and slower. I kept adjusting my expectations and told myself to keep on fighting, walk only on aid stations when hydrating. So, I kept moving forward regardless of how slow I may be. I saw my friends and cousin (Team AiA) and gave me a boost of confidence. During the first loop, I saw a lot of my teammates and felt more inspired and motivated to keep on moving forward. There were many low patches and I honestly contemplated of just walking the entire 2nd loop as the fatigue in my legs were increasing and the hot/humid conditions were unbearable. Those "buhos" with cold water, bottled water and cola were honestly my saving grace. Towards the end of the second loop, I saw my teammate Rebekah followed by Maria Hodges ahead of me and got me motivated for the final push. I ran continuously from mile 23-26 with only 1 stop for a sponge at mile 25. I didn’t know what place I was in my age group and I ran the last 1 km to finish with a Chinese triathlete who still has 1 more loop to go. It was his first Ironman distance so we kept encouraging each other with small talk. I told him to never give up and congratulated him in advance for getting his 1st IM in his belt as I made the left turn to the Hoka finisher shoot and he went on to his 2nd loop. Entering Remy field was just amazing with so many spectators. I had so much joy and gratitude and thanked God as I crossed the tape for finishing safely. I am just so proud to be an Ironman in my home country. It’s finally over! I briefly thought about how far I was in my age group but told myself that whatever the outcome may be, I was happy with a safe race and to finish this amazing event...I was perfectly satisfied.


Post-Race: I saw my teammate Rebekah Walker and her husband and I was so happy to learn that she got 3rd in her age group. I was even more pumped to learn that I got 5th in my age group! It was bittersweet since the 4th guy beat me by 22 sec. Wow! I thought to myself he must have passed me on the last 1-1.5km while I was chatting with the other guy...oh well. I knew the chance of getting a slot for Kona was slim but I was content and happy with the performance I’ve put together.

Next Day Awarding Ceremony: We attended the ceremony to witness all the awards being handed to all the amazing athletes. We waited patiently as we learned who were the lucky ones and who will go to Kona!
 After learning the amazing news that Rebekah who placed 3rd and has a Kona slot, me and the rest of the team were just overwhelmed with joy for her. At last! One of our teammates will bring home the glory! Still, I kept a positive outlook as I waited for my age group to be called. I was nervous while chatting with my good friend and training partner Paulene. I tried to seek comfort with her words convincing me that I have a great chance since we had a big percentage of participants in my age group with 4 available slots to Kona. Earning Top 5 and having beaten by 4th place finisher by 22 seconds was a tough pill to swallow. But, I knew the chances were very slim, to begin with and I was ready to accept it and go home to my family with a full heart.



But when the announcer started calling us, Men Top AG 40-44, the first place Koji Furuya (whom I predicted will take 1st in our age group) from Japan declined the spot. They called him again once, twice, three times...I hear someone yell! "He already has a spot"! My teammate was screaming with joy for me and I was speechless and was in shock!!!... His spot goes to me! OMG! What just happened?!?! I could not believe what was happening they called 2nd place, 3rd place and both went up the stage and accepted the first 2 spots. Then they called the 4th guy (who beat me by 22 seconds) and there was a moment of silence because he wasn’t there, they called him once, twice, three times... Man, I knew for sure I am in! I had 2 available slots in my age group! And when they finally called my name... 5th Place, My heart was beating so much and I felt like I was dreaming... I held up a smile but I was in shock as I got up and hugged my teammates and limped my way up the stage. I was so overwhelmed with joy and excitement and I thought to myself, is this really happening?!?! There are so many deserving athletes to go to Kona but the moment was given to me! Oh my god! Getting your name called and holding a Kona 40th Anniversary coin in my hand was just absolutely priceless! Thank you Lord!! My dream has come true!!! All the session I have dedicated to staying injury free, committed to be healthy, dedicated many hours of training, away from my family, early morning, late night running, training mentally indoor, hot and cold conditions and watching nothing except replays after replays of youtube videos of past Ironman Kona races over and over again and reliving their moments, idolizing the Pros and age groupers who have raced in Kona and wishing someday If I work really hard enough and get close enough to the top of my age group and maybe with a bit of luck, it can happen for me...

 
Well, It did! The stars lined up for me that day...I will be forever grateful for my family, friends, and teammates for their support. You were my inspiration! Thank you Ms. Princess Galura and Sunrise Event Team for an epic and amazing event! We are proud to have become Ironmen sa sariling bayan! I want to Congratulate all my teammates and all the Ironman Philippines finisher. 


RebekaWalker and Maria Hodges, Huge Congratulations to both of you! Stellar Performance from two Top female age grouper and I am so proud to call you both my teammates! See you both in Kona!


I wanted to thank the people who have made a huge impact and helped me prepare for this race. Daniel Achondo, a good friend and my training partner since I started the sport of Triathlon and whom I know is capable of getting KQ’s also  Don’t stop chasing Pare! Norma Edge, my relentless and determined athlete who got an amazing top 4th in her AG. It was my pleasure to have trained with you Norma, Never give up! I believe in you! Tony Macias my Wolfpack track running partner, we did it, bro! This has been a long journey. Thank you for keeping me in check, accountable and letting me chase you and Roger Castaneda. Thank you both for always pushing me in our training sessions.  Big Thank you to our OG Coach! Who taught me and many of us with his unselfish training/racing tips since the beginning. The CEO of Fil-Am Tri Pro Triathlete my Idol Arland Macsieb! Thank you bro for bringing FAT to WestCoast!



Bong Torralba, my Adobo Velo brother, we did it partner! All those Saturday long, solid, “empty the tank” bike rides prepared me for this race. Thank you for dedicating your time with me! I appreciate you and I could not have done it without you! Thank you Dennis Avendano for always joining us and pushing the pace. Thomas Zaide, my brother, and my Idol! I have learned so much from you. Your positive and reassuring advice kept me optimistic in chasing my dream! Thank you! My sister Paulene, the prodigy, my idol, my OG training partner. Thank you for inspiring and motivating me with all of your positive encouragement! I am honored to have raced with you in our home country!

 
  

There were many more to give thanks to such as my Fil-Am Tri teammates who cheered us online until late night and early morning back in the states. "Team Paulene" who cheered for us on the course. Thank you to the rest of Wolfpack Multisport and Optimum Multisport, Coach Jon and team Area 3 Endurance. Thank you Jae Javillonar with your great artwork! Thank you! 
Master artist Richwood Borja and Nooks Villaluz for making our kit look good! Thank you guys for what you do with Fil-Am Tri. Yoli Team LA Joe Matias for introducing me to #betterbodysystem. I got lean and was healthy throughout my training because of YOLI! Thank you!

A Special thank you to my cousin Nap Luna and Mike David for assisting me during my stay in the Philippines and also cheered/supported me on the course. Maraming Salamat mga Pare! Please let me return the favor when you guys visit me here in the States. To My In-laws and relatives who assisted and cooked for me as my house stay in our hometown Tita Eden, Nanay Eugenia and Rose Thank you so much! 

Lastly to my wife Sherry and my kids Matthew and Bella, I’m so sorry for always being away on those early mornings on weekends, training after work instead of spending time with you all. I hope now you can see that those sacrifices are all worth it in the end. Thank you for your never-ending support and understanding and love. Now, finally, a dream come true!!! We are going to Kona Baby!!!









 



Comments

  1. Awesome blog bro. All the best , Congratuations and mabuhay Team Philippines.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ironman Kona 2018 "40 years of Dreams"